When I was a boy I dreamed of my future.
當我還是個小男孩的時候,我總夢想著未來的生活
?

I was going to be a cowboy .
我想到自己長大當一個牛仔
?

I loved all the old westerns on television.
因為我喜歡所有電視里老舊的西部片

Then I dreamed of being a sailor
后來我又夢想自己會成為水手

and a soldier and fighting epic battles.
或者一個士兵,在戰場上一戰封神

After that I dreamed of being a fire fighter
之后我又夢想自己成為了消防員?

and rescuing people from burning buildings.
從熊熊燃燒的高樓里拯救人們的生命

?I just couldn't wait to grow up and be an adult.
我簡直等不及要快快長大,做一個成年人了

Then I went to college and those dreams changed.
之后我進了大學,那些夢想都改變了

?I thought I would be a psychologist,
我想我會成為一位心理學家
?

then I switched to being a teacher,
接著我又轉為想要成為教師

and I also wanted to be a best selling author.
同時我還想成為一名暢銷書作者
?

When I married and had children my dreams of the future changed again.
當我結婚成家,生兒育女,我對未來的夢想又改變了

Now it wasn't so much a certain career that I dreamed of
現在,我所夢想的不再單單是某種職業

?but a time when I could be settled and secure
而是夢想著什么時候,我才能穩定下來,生活有保障

?and my family and I would finally be problem free.
我和家人終于能夠不再有任何煩惱

That dream, of course, didn't happen.
那個夢,顯然,也沒有實現
?

In fact, none of those dreams ever came to life.
事實上,那些夢想中沒有一個實現過
?

It took me many years as well to realize that
其實我也花了許多年才明白

living in a dream future was living in an illusion
活在夢想中的未來時,就是活在幻想里
?

and that each moment I spent there was taking a moment away from the precious Now.
我在這幻想之中多沉迷一刻,我在珍貴的“當下”所擁有的時間就會少一刻
?

I saw that there could be no perfect, problem free future
我終于明白,世間并不存在完美而毫無瑕疵的未來時

because problems are a part of life.
因為問題是生活的一部分

And I realized that I was wasting my days wishing for some dream to come true
我意識到,期盼著某個愿望實現,這只是在浪費我的時間

when I could be fully living and loving each day I am given.
那些時間,我本應去好好生活,去熱愛我被賜予的每個日子

It is only in the Now that we can truly live.
只有在當下,我們才能真正活著
?

It is only in the Now that we can truly love.
只有在當下,我們才能真正去愛
?

Our dreams for the future are just that: dreams.
我們對未來的夢想只是夢想

Whether they come true or not isn't as important as how we live each day here.
無論這夢想實現與否,更重要的是,我們如何度過當下的每一天
?

A hug shared today can never be replaced.
今天,去擁抱彼此吧,這個擁抱將無可替代
?

An act of kindness not given now is lost forever.
今天沒有付出的善舉,將永遠無法補救
?

A moment of love missed can never be made up again.
如果錯過表達愛意的機會,也將于事無補?

Each second of the Now is precious and priceless.
當下的每一刻都萬分珍貴,千金難求

Don't waste a one of them.
別浪費當下的一分一秒

Embrace them.
擁抱它們
?

Live them.
喚醒它們

Love them all.
熱愛這其中的每一分一秒

Always live in the Now with a heart full of love, a soul full of joy, and a life full of kindness.
永遠活在當下,帶著一顆充滿愛的心,一副充滿喜悅的靈魂,一股充滿友善的生命力。

?

翻譯:小木